Shady K, Filipino Champ, and Magus1234 – UMvC3 suggested balance changes (part 4)
It’s been awhile since our last segment on Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 suggested balance changes, but we’re back! This time we have balance changes for fan-favorite characters including Dante, Magneto, and Firebrand. Special thanks to ApologyMan for coming by and giving us some input on changes for Firebrand, Skrull, and Frank West! Tweet me and let me know what you guys think of our changes @shady_k!
“+” denotes buff, “-” denotes nerf.
+ St.L – Additional two frames of hit stun on air juggle so that st.L to st.M always juggles on first hit. Dante’s defensive options up close are underwhelming, but this change would make him a tad scarier to attack.
+ Drive – Durability increased to match that of Magneto’s Heavy Disruptor.
+ Drive – Start-up reduced from 35 frames to 25 frames. Hit stun also increased a little bit to be able to combo from on a point blank hit (as well as easier to combo from on a full screen hit). We wanted to make Drive a powerful ground-based move as well as make it easier to use in combos as it’s a relatively useless move as is.
+ Lv2 Stinger – Increased vertical and horizontal hitbox to make it easier to combo from Clay Pigeon. An indirect buff to Dante’s lackluster damage output as Dante’s damage-to-effort ratio is too low.
- Jam Session Assist – Start-up increased from 12 frames to 20. Also add slight recovery to assist version of Jam Session to make it easier to punish on whiff. Jam Session assist as it is is a little too powerful, so we kept its functionality as a setup tool while reducing its effectiveness in the neutral game. Normal Jam Session remains untouched.
+ OTG Camera shot on hit now unpunishable. This being punishable on hit was probably an oversight.
- Defense boost as Level 5 Frank removed. Frank will keep his damage output at Level 5. With the system changes and overall nerfing of “top tier”, we feel Frank at Level 5 does not need to be as hard to kill as She Hulk.
- Focus attack – Can no longer call assist during charge-up. We kept C. Viper’s damage and utility the same, but took away the inescapable incoming setups that don’t allow incoming characters to do anything but die. Players will still be able to use creative setups (like Trish’s Round Harvest hyper) to set up unblockable situations.
- Can no longer cancel EX moves into other EX moves. We feel Viper should either choose between using EX Thunder Knuckle or EX Seismo as defense and not just throw out invincible reversals one after the other. Can still X-factor cancel EX Thunder Knuckle, however.
+ Forcefield – When Forcefield absorbs a projectile, Magneto will still perform the mini-shockwave animation. The animation makes Magneto completely invulnerable (just as it is now), making this slightly more useful as a projectile counter. The mini-shockwave will keep its short range, though.
- Gravity Squeeze – No longer has OTG properties. Magneto can always convert into a flyscreen knockdown combo, making it a little too easy to apply his Gravity Squeeze super for mega damage. We feel this should only be combo-able through Disruptor cancels, Hypergravs, and assists.
- Magnetic Blast – Add 3 frames of recovery landing frames. As it is now, Magneto is unpunishable after using this super powerful projectile move in the air making it too mindlessly spammable. It will still have all of its hit stun and block stun properties, though.
- Launch frame advantage on block decreased from -4 to -8. Great anti-air launchers should never be that safe on block.
+ 5% damage increase across the board.
- Remove unblockable version of Swoop. Holding this special move to its max will now cause heavy block stun instead of an unblockable attack, allowing Firebrand an opportunity to mix up the opponent rather than not letting them play.
- Remove meter gain during Luminous Body. Firebrand’s overall damage increase paired with meter gain during a speed-up super seemed a little too powerful.
+ Stomp – Damage set to 80k and is NOT affected by damage scaling. This will allow Skrull to occasionally save hyper gauge to kill off an opponent at the end of a long combo. Also, it’s just a badass move in general!
+ DF+H – More hit stun on air hit. This move is risky to throw out and does not have enough hit stun to combo off most assists or specials and we feel it should have a significant hit stun increase.